Wednesday, March 21, 2012

SPE 370 Extra Credit Blog on Maria Elena Gonzales

               Maria Elena Gonzales is an inspiration to many including myself after last night’s presentation. Gonzalez was born in Cuba and now lives in Brooklyn, New York. She is best known for her incredible sculptures. Before attending this art discussion I didn’t know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised.
               Gonzales explained where she gets her ideas and what makes her art imaginations come to life. Gonzales said she enjoys sculpting big pieces. Most of her sculptures are displayed outside in parks and museums across the world because they are too large to be in a house like setting. I found this fascinating because each sculpture is very tedious and takes hours upon hours to create.
               In class we discussed visual artwork and how it can mean different things to different people. When I first looked at her artwork I didn’t see much besides the basic outline and couldn’t tell you what Gonzales was trying to represent or show her audience. After she explained each piece and said why she created what she did I saw the sculpture or drawing in a different light. Everything seemed to intercut and genius thereafter.
              In 1999, Gonzales created a replica of a floor plan that would be a design for a project houses program. She explained that she doesn’t want her artwork only in expensive museums or galleries. Gonzales feels that her sculptures should be viewed by everyone know matter what your status may be. This is when Gonzales put this huge floor plan made out of wood materials and rubber tire on display in Red Hook which is located in Brooklyn. Children across the neighborhood immediately stared skateboarding and rollerblading on this piece, and she couldn’t be happier about it. I find this extremely interesting. I like how artwork can be enjoyed by viewing it but also by playing on it!
            I feel that Gonzales artwork is abstract for the most part. She explained that when there are tragic times in our country like 9/11 and hurricane Katrina she likes to use those negative things to spark creative new ideas. Gonzales feels that when she uses those ideas it makes her feel better about the situation. I think that is a great coping method that can also help others when looking at her artwork.
           Gonzales recent sculpting phenomenon is maps. She finds them interesting. She makes drawings and sculptures of them. Some are abstract and some are representational. She likes the viewer to be able to pick out a specific country and also be able to look at a country and realize it is made up and simply just abstract art at its finest.
            Gonzales uses all the key points discussed in class. From lines, textures, form, contrast, space and time etc. I am glad I went to this event because I now can see artwork like Gonzales in a new way. I am able to look beyond the outer layer and see in depth into what the sculpture or drawing is really trying to get across. Basically, I can read between the lines, which is something we touched upon in class.  I now see why this is very important when being visually literate.

1 comment:

  1. Jillian -- I'm glad you attended her talk. Her work is really enhanced by the way it is contextualized in space, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete